5 Ways To Increase Employee Satisfaction
May 31st, 2017 • Uncategorised
Employee satisfaction, or job satisfaction, is the extent to which employees are happy with their jobs. Employee satisfaction has a direct effect on employee goal achievement, motivation, morale, and productivity making it an important factor for managers and business owners to pay attention to.
While employees have a role to play in improving their happiness at work, employers can also do a number of things to ensure that their employees are satisfied with their roles. It takes a bit of an effort, but the result will be a loyal, happy and efficient workforce that helps the business grow.
Here are 5 ways you can improve employee satisfaction in your workplace:
- Give your employees more control. As an employer, you should allow your workers to have more control over certain areas of their work life such as work habits, environment and/or schedule. For example, you can allow your employees to telecommute where possible or offer alternative work schedules that work best for them.
Workers have other obligations outside of work and will appreciate a boss who’s considerate of their work-life balance.Encouraging your workers to customise their personal workstation with equipment and décor of their choice also helps them create a work environment that best suits them and can help improve satisfaction.
- Encourage and foster social connections. Humans are social beings which means they’ll be happier when they make connections with others. Find ways to encourage your employees to make social connections with their co-workers. You can do this by arranging your workstations in a way that employees can see each other and interact, encouraging office celebrations for birthdays and holidays, or by encouraging employees to have lunch together by providing a nice eating area.
You can also use volunteer programs to help your employees develop relationships outside of work with the added benefit of promoting the company’s image.
- Create a growth atmosphere. Jobs are not only a source of income for employees but a venue for them to learn and grow as well. You can create a growth atmosphere by celebrating and rewarding individual and team accomplishments, acknowledging benchmarks, and providing training. Encourage your employees to learn new skills and take on new challenges and risks.
Your employees are more prone to losing motivation and becoming bored if you do not give them the opportunity to increase their skill set and responsibilities.
- Break up the routine. Surprises are a good way of adding spark to people’s lives, even in the workplace. Small surprise treats such as baked goods or coffee show your employees that you appreciate their effort and time. Another good idea would be hosting a party in the office for a quirky holiday.
You could even allow your employees to come up with their own holiday. This doesn’t have to be anything extravagant as the point of the party is to break up the routine of a work week, demonstrate your appreciation as well as promote socialisation.
- Promote good health. Poor health is not only detrimental to employees, but it’s also harmful to the business. You can foster good health in the workplace by educating employees on health practices through seminars or by providing reading materials. Also create a stress-free work environment as stress is one of the leading factors affecting health in the workplace.You can encourage employees to eat healthy by providing a kitchen equipped with a microwave and refrigerator so that employees can carry food to work.
A company discount on employee gym memberships can also encourage your staff to exercise regularly for better health. A healthy workforce is a happy workforce.
If you want a loyal and hardworking workforce, you will need to treat your employees well to improve job satisfaction. It won’t cost much, and the benefits to your business will be huge.
← Return to Blog